Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Currently I am on leave so I do not have a classroom to refer to directly. I am a reading teacher and have also been a primary classroom teacher. I worked many years at a school in Corvallis, so I will use the technology there as the basis for my response. The school has a large computer lab that classes can visit once a week and at other times if it is available. It is (was?) also open some evenings for use by the community. Each classroom has at least two computers, a television with a VCR and a listening center. There are several digital cameras available for check-out in the computer lab. The library catalog is on the computer. Just to function in the school, students have to learn to use input and output devices as well as the terminology to communicate about technology.
Direct instruction in the use of computers should require very little time- probably a few short lessons. The majority of the technology standards can be addressed by integrating the use of computers, digital cameras, videos, etc. into content area projects. Students can work in groups and individually to research and present topics in social studies and science. Students can produce or help produce a web page and/or an on-line class newsletter (that can be printed for families that don't have internet at home.) Computer games that fit into content areas can be made available during class time or free time whichever is most appropriate.
Students can use digital cameras to take pictures to illustrate their writing. With a little help, first graders can create PowerPoint presentations about themselves that can be displayed at open house. As long as the batteries are charged and the systems are running, there are many ways to integrate technological tools into classroom curriculum.

5 comments:

Alison Ross said...

Pat,

I am looking forward to having you come to Philomath. Our team is looking forward to your visit. Wow! Maybe you can help me with a PowerPoint presentation with a few of our first graders.

Diane

Sissy Wanderer said...

Currently, during this class, I am noticing what a time sucker these computers are... And we are somewhat computer literate. How in the heck would we ever meet IDTE standards with issues like these... and as you stated, times when we have no batteries.

Paulala

Kathryn said...

I agree that the basics of computer use can be learned in a relatively short time. I also like the idea of collaboration for students in their assignments. That deals with some of the problems of computers being isolating.

Kathryn

JCG said...

Pat,

I think you are so right that the way to learn how to use technology such as computers and digital cameras is by the children doing projects. As they work on their projects they have desire to use technology and they teach each other.

Judy

pkmccorkle said...

Hi, Pat,
I'm impressed that you work with first graders who use PowerPoint!
Is that what you said???

Computers take time to learn during our class and during the children's classes. However, I believe that the children probably would pick it up faster than we do as adults---us being digital immigrants after all!!! ( One of my teaching colleaques says compared to the digital natives we are digital stone age/cave women!)
Sometimes, when I am frustrated with the computer not doing what I think I have commanded it to do---I agree!!! Other times, when the computer responds as I think it should---and as I think I've commanded it to do--- I love it! It's just those moments of frustration that are tricky. I try to laugh at my own lack of computer knowledge/skills because I don't want to cry!!! Also, Bryan is great at helping...if you e-mail or call him, he gets back to you quickly. He answers either that day or the very next day. I think he is a great teacher--and very, very patient with us digital natives!!!!
I too agree with Kathryn's comments about learning in a relatively short amount of time (the key being the word relatively). And kids love to wortk together. However, at my school sometimes, they just talk and goof off in groups and don't get down to getting anything done!
This may be because they have some incredibly lenient teachers who expect very little of any type of quality work from them!!! Which is crazy with all the standards they are tested on!! Not to mention the ISTE standards, they should be learning!
With past librarians we've had the 4th and 5th graders use digital cameras but not the younger students. Currently, the kids aren't doing much on the computers at all except for testing and "games" like "I Spy", without much "real learning" happening on the computers. I don't have the authority in the library setting (at tjis time) to change all of this. Maybe, if I get hired next year-- as librarian-
I can change the way the kids use the computers. I hope so!

Kathi McCorkle